[syslog-ng] repeat messages

Nichols, Nancy nnichols at mrv.com
Wed Jan 11 20:01:17 CET 2006

We recently changed our system logging code from sysklogd
to syslog-ng version 1.9.6 and seem to have lost the
following functionality: When consecutively logged messages are
identical, instead of seeing each individual
duplicate message in the logfile, we see the message
"Last message repeated # times".
Syslog-ng doesn't seem to support this feature though there
is code in log_msg_parse() that tests
for 'repeat_msg_string' (defined as "last message repeated").
Why would this test be here if syslog-ng isn't supporting these
messages? If the feature is indeed supported, what do I
need to do to get it to work? If not, are there plans to add it?
When?

Thanks
Nancy Nichols