[syslog-ng] remove_if_older()

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Thu Dec 21 09:21:00 CET 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 12:22 +1300, anthony lineham wrote:
> I think the name is quite reasonable as it is. However you should
> upgrade the documentation to say that
> the check is only made when the file is first opened, not when each
> message is written.

I applied this patch to the docs:

 <row>
   <entry>remove_if_older()</entry>
   <entry>number</entry>
-  <entry>If set to a value higher than 0, before writing to a file,
-  syslog-ng checks whether this file is older than the specified
+  <entry>If set to a value higher than 0, before reopening a file,
+  syslog-ng checks whether the destination file is older than the specified
   amount of time (specified in seconds). If so, it removes the
   existing file and the line to be written is the first line of a
   new file having the same name. In combination with e.g.: the

Is this easier to understand now?

> You should also upgrade the documentation for time_reap() as it seems
> that this only applies to files
> which have macros in the name.

Which is true.