[syslog-ng] Tool to determine facility and severity from syslog packets

Paul Krizak paul.krizak at amd.com
Tue Dec 5 17:10:25 CET 2006

Man, that's a really complicated method for something that has a very
simple solution (if you're using syslog-ng).  Just use a template to
write out your logs.  I've included strategic bits from our
syslog-ng.conf; it may not work as-is, but you get the basic idea.

# Syslog inputs
source s_external_syslog {
     udp(port(514));
};

# Local syslog
source s_internal_syslog {
     unix-dgram("/dev/log");
     file("/proc/kmsg" log_prefix("kernel:"));
};

# Sylog-ng's internal log
source s_syslog-ng {
     internal();
};

# This template reformats incoming messages for use in human-readable
logfiles
template t_human_readable {
     template("$R_FULLDATE $HOST $FACILITY.$PRIORITY $MESSAGE\n");
     template-escape(no);
};

# The big monolithic syslog file
destination d_big_messages {
     file (
         "/var/log/logs/messages.log"
         template(t_human_readable)
         owner(root)
         group(root)
         perm(0644)
     );
};

# log syslog messages to the host-messages tree and to the big
monolithic messages file
log {
     source(s_external_syslog);
     source(s_internal_syslog);
     destination(d_big_messages);
};

Paul Krizak                         5900 E. Ben White Blvd. MS 625
Advanced Micro Devices              Austin, TX  78741
Linux/Unix Systems Engineering      Phone: (512) 602-8775
Silicon Design Division             Cell:  (512) 791-0686