[syslog-ng] Tool to determine facility and severity from syslog packets

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Tue Dec 5 13:07:28 CET 2006

Hi there,

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, "Justin Shore" wrote:

> Does anyone know of a tool to read the facility and severity info from
> inbound syslog packets?  I have a number of devices that are sending me
> syslog info and I can't determine what facility they're using.

>From your description I'm not sure exactly what your problems are, but
_if_ you're using syslog-ng (if not, why not?!:) and _if_ I understand
what you need then I think I would simply create two sets of temporary
logfiles: one set would log everything at every severity and the other
would log everything at every facility.  Then I'd look in the logs to
see if I recognized any of the output.

A lot simpler and, er, more deterministic than hacking C and/or Perl.

--

73,
Ged.