[syslog-ng] Truncated Messages when using templates

Ivan Stegic ivan.stegic at nazcainc.com
Wed Aug 23 22:33:40 CEST 2006

Hello everyone...

We have chosen syslog-ng for our corporate application's central logging
daemon and are very happy with it so far. Just one problem: truncated
messages.

We are running syslog-ng 1.6.11-1 on a Fedora 5 Intel Xeon box. We have
an application specific template that we are logging information for
into a MySQL 5.0.22 database. If we ever try to log a message that is
more than 10674 characters in length, the message is truncated. We
expect to only log this large sized message when the DEBUG level of our
application is switched to EXTREMELY_HIGH. Now, although this probably
won't happen often, it will be at that point that we would most need
that information! If the message is logged to a file, the truncation
does NOT occur. Does anyone have any insight into this? I would
appreciate a push in the right direction for more information, or maybe
even a patch of some sort?

Please help!

Ivan Stegic.