[syslog-ng] Performance tuning questions

King, John (Greg) (LMIT-HOU) Greg.King at lmit.com
Wed Aug 23 17:57:24 CEST 2006

Yeah the only other services than syslog are sshd and iptables, nothing
else was installed, the only worry I have with moving from udp to tcp
for such a large number of messages would be denial of service. I recall
some years ago some mmorpg tried using tcp instead of udp for client
data and it brought their system(s) to a halt. Since I am looking at (on
avg) 26000 messages per minute I am worried about what this will do not
only to the syslog server performance but to the agents as well (and
thus the servers the agents reside on).

I am still trying to get time to work on the lab syslog-ng system to
convert redhat es 4 syslog configs into syslog-ng so the standard
logging format for the system is not lost. Then create a rule for tcp
based syslog and slowly ramp up traffic and see what happens in the lab
to get an idea on what to expect.

-Greg