[syslog-ng] kernel message logging

Bruce Penrod bmpenrod at endruntechnologies.com
Sat Aug 12 01:11:41 CEST 2006

I've been using syslogd/klogd for years on linux systems and it seems to
work as described in its docs, no issues.  Unfortunately, it isn't being
maintained and I now need ipv6 capability.  Hence, syslog-ng.  I like
the straightforward configuration file structure, and with its emerging
ipv6 capability, it seems like the future of open source syslogging, but
I'm running into a little trouble making a seamless transition from
syslogd/klogd.

Apart from the problem I described in my previous post concerning the
hostname being dropped from messages forwarded over udp6 to a loghost,
I'm also running into a little difficulty with kernel message handling.
 It seems that the internal syslog-ng kernel message logging lacks a
feature present in klogd that allows inhibiting kernel messages from
appearing on the console, unless they are above a command line settable
priority level.  With syslog-ng, I seem to be getting all of the kernel
messages coming out on /dev/console.  I'm in an embedded environment
using the mtd flash kernel drivers, which generate a lot of info level
messages while erasing and writing to raw flash devices.  klogd allows
me to inhibit these quite nicely.  Am I correct that syslog-ng lacks
this capability, or just that I don't know how to configure it?

As a workaround, I tried using klogd with syslog-ng.  I did turn off the
syslog-ng source for /proc/kmsg.  Now I don't see kernel messages on my
console, but I don't get any kernel message logging either.  Again,
should this work?  I don't see that there should be any special source
definition in syslog-ng.conf for this to work.

Thanks,
Bruce.