[syslog-ng] Fwd: Syslog-ng again

Brian Loe knobdy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 15:43:09 CEST 2006

On 8/8/06, Sandor Geller <wildy at balabit.hu> wrote:
> [ Don't expect prompt answers on mailing lists, we are supporting
> syslog-ng against our free time... ]

I wasn't expecting a prompt answer - especially since I've noticed
that this is a failry low volume list. I was, however, taking
advantage of the fact that the first post hadn't been responded to.
Perhaps I should have worded it better.

> Enabling/disabling the pipe shouldn't have any effect on other
> destinations, so I think your notification isn't correct.
>
> Is there a process on the other end of the pipe reading the messages?

Not yet.

> Can it really read from the pipe? You are specifiing perm(0660) without
> owner and group, so check the actual permission of the pipe and your
> other destinations.

I have to set the ownership manually - if I had a permissions setting
in the syslog-ng config that I posted, its been removed since. I
didn't see the point since syslog-ng will not create a pipe. I'm just
trying everything.

> Using pipes destinations may be hazardous, the OS can block the writing
> processes when the readers are gone...

I was wondering if that may be the case - but unsure why syslog-ng
would stop writing to both the pipe and the log file.

> What version of syslog-ng are you referring to?

2.0rc1

Thanks!