[syslog-ng] filters do not work from syslogd pipe as a source

Lumir Unzeitig (DHL CZ) lumir.unzeitig at dhl.com
Fri Apr 7 14:46:11 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I installed syslog-ng for central logging in a company. The remote
logging works perfectly.

The syslog-ng machine should log its own logs to central repository and
to typical /var/log by syslogd as well.

I changed the original syslogd port  to different one (510/udp) and
created a pipe device which will be used for transport between syslogd
and syslog-ng.

/etc/syslog.conf

-----------------------

*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none
/var/log/messages

*.*
|/dev/log-syslog-ng

-----------------------

Generally the pipe is working the events are logged in by syslogd and
syslog-ng as well.

BUT if I apply any standard filter for the pipe source the statement is
false in spite of should being true.

Part of /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf

options {

}source s_local {

         pipe("/dev/log-syslog-ng");

         file("/proc/kmsg");

};

destination d_mesg_XXXX { file("/local/messages"); };

destination d_null  { file("/dev/null"); };

filter f_mail_XXXX    { level(debug); };

log { source(s_local); filter(f_mail_XXXX); destination(d_mesg_XXXX); };

log { source(s_local);  destination(d_null); flags(final); };

It's looking like the facility, priority information has been lost after
syslogd evaluation or by going through the pipe. (All events go only to
/dev/null destination)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Lumir Unzeitig