[syslog-ng] I/O error since upgrade to v1.9.9-1

Sandor Geller wildy at balabit.hu
Thu Apr 6 17:00:38 CEST 2006

ma.LAN.ge wrote:

> OK, I've got this problem again. (see attachments, 1 for private mail)
> I attached the syslog and a pic from the /proc/<pid>/fd/ directory with
> sockets etc.
> The syslog seems to point me to a possible reason: while initializing my
> firewall with iptables rules, these I/O errors occur. After that, the errors
> disappear in syslog.
> But a good syslog should always be started before most services, cause it
> should log system messages ;)
> So it should also work while initializing my firewall rules 8)
> So, how can we cath this problem to find a solution?

It would be nice to see what were fd5 and fd17 when the problem occured,
that information was missing from your mail. Can you send the list of
the opened file descriptors and where are they pointing?

I would start to debug this issue through the destinations which are
affected by the syslog facility, because for me it seems that
syslog-ng's own messages are repeating. Maybe your initial network setup
blocks UDP traffic, but this is only a wild guess...

--
Sandor Geller
wildy at balabit.hu