[syslog-ng] I/O error since upgrade to v1.9.9-1 [again w/o attachments]

Sandor Geller wildy at balabit.hu
Wed Apr 5 19:12:53 CEST 2006

ma.LAN.ge wrote:
> Hi everybody out there =)
>
> Yesterday I updated my Debian Etch (kernel 2.6.16-1) with syslog-ng
> v1.9.9-1.
>
> I had to modify syslog-ng.conf, cause syslog-ng did not start after
> upgrading (syntax error line xxx).

I already reported similar issues in our bugzilla about (currently)
unimplemented features in the 1.9 branch which were working in the 1.6
branch. Hopefully Bazsi will implement the missing features or convert
these errors into warnings and FIXME-s in the near future :))

> OK, I merged my old .conf with the new .conf and cleaned some old .log files
> in /var/log/.
>
> syslog-ng script started now w/o any syntax errors, but in /var/log/messages
> folowing occurs massively and rapidly:
>
> syslog-ng: I/O error occurred while writing, error='Operation not permitted
> (1)', fd='5' | fd='17'

If your configuration isn't confidental, please post your configuration
with the list of the /proc/[syslog-ng_pid]/fd directory.

Unfortunately there are issues with the current 1.9.9 version. Syslog-ng
1.9.x entered into debian unstable and testing, so it's getting
used/tested more widely than before. If your machine is in production
use, I recommend to downgrade to the latest 1.6.x package, and hold it
until the remaining issues will be fixed.

--
Sandor Geller
wildy at balabit.hu