FW: [syslog-ng] syslog-ng 1.6.8 bug: not maintaining priority

SheBang infosec at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 21:03:31 CEST 2005

-----Original Message-----

Check out the detailed syslog explanation at:

http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng/syslog.html

Since your message isn't "<PRI>HEADER MSG" it's being rewriten in accordance
with standard syslog practice and RFC3164. I didn't know syslog-ng doesn't
put a <PRI> field in the beginning no matter what, but it makes sense that
it wouldn't when you're specifying the format yourself. You'll have to add
it.

Problem is, I don't know that you can. Going by what's on the FAQ:

$TAG
Hex representaiton of the 32-bit priority/facility pair (see
/usr/include/sys/syslog.h)
1f

You can't use a hex number there, it needs to be decimal. I don't see a
macro that we can use to properly set the decimal <PRI> in the beginning of
a templated message. Bazsi, can you shed any light on this?

BTW, I think most formatting questions can be answered by people on their
own after they read that syslog explanation page.