[syslog-ng] Anyone got a well performing search interface for syslog data?

Al Tobey tobert at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 18:01:49 CEST 2005

I rotate logs on my central server (for about 60 hosts) nightly into a
simple linux filesystem and compress them with gzip -9.   I have about
5 years online and searchable.   My web interface for searching is
written in perl and lets you search by day/month/year/time.  It is
quite fast.   In fact, the main slowdown is the browser when using
html tables for layout instead of straight text when there's a lot of
data to display.   I'll look into getting permission to post my viewer
on the web.  It's a few years old and a little crufty but could be
cleaned up easily enough.

I just ran a test searching for cfengine security /cfengine.*SECURITY/
events over the last 30 days/files.   It took about 1.5 minutes to
run.  The script only got about 20% cpu (dual xeon 2800), so I'm
betting most of the time was I/O even though this was on some fast EVA
disk.   The advantage of staying with flat files in I/O is it's a
linear read through the file, which almost every OS does very fast.
Technically, mysql tables could be linear reads, but will never match
the raw speed of perl when doing regular expressions linearly through
a file, especially when the RE's are well written.   By the way,
compression may actually help I/O throughput if you have fast CPU and
slow disk, since the reads from disk will be smaller.   Having extra
system memory for buffer cache and readahead helps, too.

-Al Tobey
Senior Unix Engineer
Priority Health