[syslog-ng] Anyone got a well performing search interface for syslog data?

Jim Leitch Jim.Leitch at bibit.com
Tue Sep 6 08:33:24 CEST 2005

Jason,

I've been looking into php-syslog-ng
(http://freshmeat.net/projects/phpsyslogng/), which, as the name might
suggest is a php/mysql frontend for syslog-ng. For large amounts of data
you can use the "logrotate" function that it provides to make a new
database every day/week/whatever. This means that as long as you know
the date of what you are looking for, the search stays small. In the
case that you're  not sure of the date you can still search across all
databases, but be prepared to wait ! The databases are indexed and
optimized which makes them faster (a lot!) than grep.

Another alternative is to leave the data in text files but then to index
the text files with something like "beagle"
(http://beaglewiki.org/Main_Page) or "penetrator"
(http://freshmeat.net/projects/penetrator/). You then just need to
search the index which will let you know exactly where to look.

Regards,

Jim