[syslog-ng] messed up permissions on /dev/null destination on solaris

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Mon Oct 17 17:47:17 CEST 2005

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 11:19:58AM -0400, Carson Gaspar wrote:
> --On Monday, October 17, 2005 01:06:34 PM +0200 Balazs Scheidler
> <bazsi at balabit.hu> wrote:
>
> >I'm wondering what the best solution would be. My idea is to completely
> >refuse changing permissions if the filename begins with /dev (and don't
> >issue a log message), is that reasonable?
>
> Personally, I lean toward "You told me to do something stupid, and I'm
> doing it" (i.e. set the permissions as asked).

That makes sense in most cases, but this seems a little different. I
think that the vast majority of the people sending logs to /dev/null
don't want its permissions changed, so maybe we should make that the
default.

It's certainly not the normal UNIX philosophy, but it seems like a nice
way to take care of what's almost certainly a mistake. Sure, you could
also just let them shoot themselves in the foot - the normal UNIX way.
Whatever Bazsi wants I suppose.

It's not even that I really care if it's implemented in the future, but
for some reason I thought it had been in the past.
--
Nate

"Plonk /excl./: The sound a newbie makes as he falls to the bottom of a
kill file."    - From the Jargon File.