[syslog-ng] messed up permissions on /dev/null destination on solaris

Carson Gaspar carson at taltos.org
Mon Oct 17 17:19:58 CEST 2005

--On Monday, October 17, 2005 01:06:34 PM +0200 Balazs Scheidler
<bazsi at balabit.hu> wrote:

> I'm wondering what the best solution would be. My idea is to completely
> refuse changing permissions if the filename begins with /dev (and don't
> issue a log message), is that reasonable?

Personally, I lean toward "You told me to do something stupid, and I'm
doing it" (i.e. set the permissions as asked).

If you are going to hack around operator error, please don't check the
pathname. Check if the file is a device special file (you may want to
include FIFOs).

--
Carson