[syslog-ng] no $PID macro?

catenate infosec at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 23:27:25 CEST 2005

On 10/5/05, Roberto Nibali <ratz at drugphish.ch> wrote:

> > You mean the process ID embedded (sometimes) in the program name (when
> > that field is present)?
>
> It's part of the identification when you use the LOG_PID option in
> openlog(). It's not a required option but nevertheless a proper formated
> syslog message should contain it.

That's what I meant, it's not always there, but when the program name field
is there, often the PID is embedded there as well. Sorry, thought that was
clear.

What is a good reason to have this? If you specify $MSG you will get the
> programme name and pid logged, provided it was specified in openlog().

Same reason for having the date, or the program name, or any other part of
the message available as a macro - so you can format it yourself.

Is that not what you guys were looking for?

No, having a $PID macro is what we're looking for.