[syslog-ng] Logs rotate and compress but still log to compressed file

Andrew Morris morrisa at telusplanet.net
Tue May 17 22:13:40 CEST 2005

I'm going to take a guess here (I've seen this before with other
applications), but the HUP signal is just telling syslog-ng to reread
it's config file.

If the config doesn't change, syslog-ng doesn't close the file
descriptors (and most likely only closes them if it needs a different
file name), and thus the file stays open.

I see two options.

1) Stop and start the syslog-ng server.  This could lead to possibly
missed logs during the ever so short outage.

2) Use syslog-ng to rotate your logs daily for you.  Then rotate the
logs from previous days.