[syslog-ng] Re: [syslog-ng]syslog-ng dies randomly on solaris

Balazs Scheidler syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:30:00 +0200

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 18:02 -0800, Ian Veach wrote:
> Bazsi -
>
> Unfortunately, I don't remember configuring syslog-ng with debug switch.
> I will do that now (see below).
>
> I did what you said anyway, and here are the results (already had ulimit
> unlimited):
>
> [root@leviathan:/tmp/syslog-work]# gdb -c /var/core/core.syslog-ng.6854.leviathan.0.0.1107398506 GNU gdb 6.0
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "sparc-sun-solaris2.9".
> Core was generated by `/usr/local/adm/sbin/syslog-ng -v'.
> Program terminated with signal 6, Aborted.
> #0  0xff19f69c in ?? ()
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0xff19f69c in ?? ()
> #1  0xff136ce8 in ?? ()
> #2  0xff136f88 in ?? ()
> (gdb) q
>
> Prolly not much use without debug options on, i would guess.  But I am
> going to have to learn gdb...

There's no much use in the backtrace above. I'd really need the
debugging information as the addresses above are changing from system to
system.

> I'm assuming your sunfreeware package (looked like you did it?) was
> compiled with debug enabled...

No, it was done independently.

> Also, as an aside, do you want to take a guess when the new dev (1.9.x)
> will go production?  :)

All I need is some testers of the latest snapshots. I've been running it
on my notebook since the 1.9.3 release. There was a bug in macro
expansion after the 1.9.3 release, so an 1.9.4 (or latest snapshot) is
definitely needed for testing.