[syslog-ng]Syslog-ng + Mysql problems

Andrew Fort syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:38:51 +1100

Vladimir Potapov wrote:
> Problems whas solved after remove from the line "mysql -u
> syslog --password=secret syslog < /var/log/mysql.pipe &" the "&" simbol....

Right - because you only need to start the client once (it reads input
continually from the pipe).

I use this setup and the mysql client occasionally stops (my mysql
server is across the network since I have multiple loggers writing to a
database to provide a realtime log view to the NOC).  The pipe will
buffer data (depending on your log rate), so running the mysql client in
a wrapper (which reruns it) or restarting it from a management console
or cfengine or similar is a prudent step.

-andrew