[syslog-ng] syslog-ng and windows

mibry at iinet.net.au mibry at iinet.net.au
Mon Jun 13 04:23:16 CEST 2005

I hope this is able to help someone, I have been working on a solution to get
eventlogs from a Windows box to a central syslog-ng server using open source
products and have come up with a solution similar to using syslog-ng with
stunnel. I have the solution setup in test environment at the moment and it
seems to be working fine. I haven't quite finished the documentation at the
moment but hope to have the documentation and files on my web site by Tuesday
the 14th June. I hope that others will find the information useful.

Here is the setup:

Windows 2000 server running Eventlog to Syslog Utility available from
https://engineering.purdue.edu/ECN/Resources/Documents/UNIX/evtsys.

Eventlog to Syslog sends Windows events to the loghost server.

The loghost server is running debian sarge and syslog-ng 1.6.5.

To make sure that the data from the Windows box is not intercepted during
transmission I am using a tunneling program that is available for both *nix and
Win32 boxs called Zebedee which is available from
http://www.winton.org.uk/zebedee.

Zebedee creates a secure tunnel for both TCP and UDP from the windows box to
the loghost server. The default binaries under Linux do not spoof the correct
ip address in the syslog logs so I have compiled a new set binaries which are
available from the web site listed below. The only problem with the build that I
have done is the program needs to be run as root.

Any comments or feed back on the solution is welcome.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~mibry/

Kind Regards

Michael Bryant