[syslog-ng]Syslog -> Oracle Database

Rhugga syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 06:58:25 -0800 (PST)

--- Shane Presley <shane.presley@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 06:16:39 -0800 (PST), Rhugga <rhugga@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > You will need the libclntsh.so client library at a minimum. If these scripts you are referring
> > are perl, you will also need the DBD-Oracle module (and this module will require linking
> against
> > the oracle library). (I assume since it works with mysql that you are using perl since the
> mysql
> > perl modules normally come default with linux now days)
> >
> > Personally I use just a plain simple bash script that calls sqlplus (using sqlplus will
> require a
> > larger oracle client installation) to load my logs into oracle. Perl and its cludge or modules
> has
> > gotten so sloppy these days I tend to use it as a last resort for anything.
>
> That sounds like what our DBA's were suggesting.  The script I found
> at http://vermeer.org/display_doc.php?doc_id=1 also uses sqlplus.  So
> that will require the full oracle client installation?  Is that
> similar to the script you use?
>
> Thanks,
> Shane

It doesn't require a full oracle installation but I don't remember exactly which installation
option to pick for a minimum. It has also changed over the years, it was different for 7,
different for 8i, different for 9i, and now different for 10g.

To be really nitty gritty, just use ldd and determine which libraries sqlplus needs and tar them
up from a installation on a like architecture and copy them over. If I had to guess I wouldn't
think you would need no more than 100M of storage for a bare bones oracle client needed to do what
you need to do.

-chuck

=====
Chuck Carson - Sr. Systems Engineer