[syslog-ng]1.6.6 release status

Roberto Nibali syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Thu, 03 Feb 2005 12:12:51 +0100

Hello,

> - there is one pending patch reporting truncated messages when
> log_msg_size() is exceeded, it can be in once Roberto confirms that my
> change is correct to his patch.

Confirmed now in another thread.

> Thanks Jose and Roberto for helping me preparing the release.

Let's make it the best release ever ;).

Open issues (on my/our side), but _no_ showstopper:

o The TCP close -> lose 1 message feature (non-trivial, postponed ad
   infinitum, I guess)
o I should be re-running the performance tests I did about 14 months
   ago (postponed until I find enough time)
o An engineer in our company wrote something about sources.c being
   broken regarding packet parsing code. As I cannot possibly see or
   guess what he meant, we can safely ignore this for now. I will sit
   down with him and ask what the issue was. As a test, I've downloaded
   syslog-ng-1.6.0rc1 and compared to the current sources.c. The changes
   are minor and IMHO not related to packet parsing code.
o We have a test suite for syslog-ng that we built up for QA reasons. If
   there is an interest in submitting those, I'll talk to the management.
o We internally patch syslog-ng to have a counter assigned to each
   message. So we have a log_id and additionally know which messages are
   lost. I wonder if such a feature (given the patch was polished) could
   be of any interest.
o Sometimes it's not feasible to build a stunnel or ssh forward or
   whatever secured channel you can create, to forward syslog-ng messages
   encrypted. A long standing wish would be to integrade SSL support for
   syslog-ng. If there was a discussion about this earlier, please point
   me to it.

That's it for now, I think :). Thanks and happy releasing,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo
'[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc