[syslog-ng] What is my incoming data

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Mon Dec 26 08:13:09 CET 2005

On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 08:32:16PM +0000, David Anderson wrote:

> I am trying to set up syslog-ng to process data from my router on
> port 514, but I don't know the format of the data to be able to
> build filters.
>
> Is there any way to collect all data on 514 to a file?

destination d_all { file("/var/log/all.log"); };
log { source(src); destination(d_all); };

Assuming the "src" source has UDP port 514 defined, you'll see your data
logged to a file and then write filters based on what you see there.
--
Nate

"My suggestion for an Official Usenet Motto: 'If you have nothing to
say, then come on in, this is the place for you, tell us all about it!'"
- Fosseng, Hevard [quotation collector]