[syslog-ng] convert logoutput to syslog

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Sat Dec 24 04:58:13 CET 2005

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 03:15:42PM -0600, Mark F wrote:
> We use a commercial content management system that does not log to
> syslog but has its own log files.  I can however modify where the log
> files are written via a config file directive. I'm interested in writing
> (or acquiring) a small program to convert the proprietary log output to
> something more syslog-ng like and redirect the stream to syslog-ng.
>
> I could probably use the logger command to accomplish the latter but how
> to convert the log output to use syslog facilities is the real question.
>
> Any advice, has anyone done something like this before?

This is a common problem, and when you don't have access to the source
code (as in your case) you need to convert using something like the
logger command. This normally isn't a big deal, just run a cronjob every
few minutes that feeds new entries into logger:

 /usr/local/bin/logtail /path/to/logfile | /usr/bin/logger -p local1.notice

Get logtail from the logcheck package - available at
http://logcheck.org/.
--
Nate

"Everybody thinks I'm Fruit Loops Because I post on newsgroups Instead
of doing work. If I don't finish my degree Then I probably will be an
overeducated clerk." - Brown, Thomas Ford