[syslog-ng]Re: sysnlog-ng lock whole machine ...

Pawel Dziekonski syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 00:10:11 +0100

On śro, 17 mar 2004 at 08:25:57  -0800, Nate Campi wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 02:32:49PM +0100, Pawel Dziekonski wrote:
> >
> > 1st: please confirm how do I log kernel messages (assuming klogd is NOT
> > running):
>
> I use this         pipe("/proc/kmsg");

more answeres?

also, should it be:

source src { unix-stream("/dev/log"); internal(); pipe("/proc/kmsg"); };

or:

source src { unix-dgram("/dev/log"); internal(); pipe("/proc/kmsg"); };

stream or dgram ???

I'm asking those questions, bacause different documentation sources say
different things fir linux, or debian specyfically.

> > 2nd: the machine "hangs" from time to time - cron is hanging, login is
> > not spawning shell, sshd too. i have pinpointed it so i'm pretty sure
> > that all those processes hang on socket connection to /dev/log. killing
> > syslog-ng cures that.
>
> I am also a debian user, I don't know if this problem is specific to
> debian or not, but I used to have lockups all the time when two things
> would happen at once: syslog log rotation and postfix reloads. The HUP
> of syslog-ng when rotating logs and postfix writing to /dev/log would
> hang up the whole machine, cron processes would pile up and eventually
> you couldn't even log into the machine, presumably because syscalls for
> logging would hang. If I already had a shell and killed postfix most of
> the processes would un-freeze, but cron would never recover. I always
> had to reboot or power cycle if init got screwed.

this is it!!

please, see also (old bug, what the same problem):

regrads, P
--
Pawel Dziekonski <pawel.dziekonski|@|pwr.wroc.pl>, KDM WCSS avatar:0:0:
Wroclaw Networking & Supercomputing Center, HPC Department