[syslog-ng]libol, make_class, scsh

Balazs Scheidler syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:57:35 +0200

2004-06-19, szo keltezéssel 19:58-kor Bryan Henderson ezt írta:
> I'm trying to figure out how the build with libol works.  I've read the
> few pages about it on the web site and the README file.
>
> I have libol-0.3.13 and syslog-ng-1.5.26.
>
> My first question: The syslog-ng make files appear to expect
> 'make_class' to be installed in my PATH or in a libol directory I
> specify.  But a 'make install' of libol does not install make_class
> anywhere.  The 'make' of libol does generate utils/make_class, though.
> Shouldn't 'make install' install it?

hmm... make install should make it possible to compile syslog-ng without
the original libol directory. so it definitiely should install those
scripts...

I've checked the source and it installs it in $prefix/bin as the
following Makefile.am snippet shows:

bin_SCRIPTS=make_class

I don't use an installed libol myself, I specify its directory via the
--with-libol command line option.

> A related question:  'configure' of syslog-ng finds libol by invoking
> libol-config from the PATH.  But 'make install' of libol did not install
> libol-config.  It did create libol-config and when I inserted it in my
> PATH, syslog-ng configure worked fine.

libol-config is also installed by the Makefile in the root of the source
tree.

I've just tried and both make_class and libol-config is installed:

/bin/sh /home/bazsi/src/libol-0.3/mkinstalldirs /usr/local/bin
 /usr/bin/install -c make_class /usr/local/bin/make_class
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/bazsi/src/libol-0.3'
/bin/sh /home/bazsi/src/libol-0.3/mkinstalldirs /usr/local/bin
 /usr/bin/install -c libol-config /usr/local/bin/libol-config

> fix that later, but the problem is that it reacts to this by creating
> a 'make_class' with a null string for the scsh path.  This is very
> unfriendly.  Wouldn't it be better to generate it with some default
> path (maybe /usr/bin/scsh)?  Then the error message when you try to
> run it would make it clear that the problem is a missing scsh.

It would probably be a good idea. I've added a default value to my tree.