[syslog-ng]problem on HPUX with s_tcp snd d_tcp

Balazs Scheidler syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Fri, 02 Jul 2004 12:41:31 +0200

2004-07-01, cs keltezéssel 17:06-kor Stephan Hendl ezt írta:
> I've just upgraded all version to 1.6.4 and the problem is the same.
>
> After a kill -HUP on the hpux-server the clients are going into
> CLOSE_WAIT state where the server is in the FIN_WAIT_2 state
>
> client:
> tcp  1  0  <client>:55682  <server>:10514 CLOSE_WAIT
>
> server
> tcp  0  0  <server>.10514  <client>.55682 FIN_WAIT_2
>
> After a 'service syslog-ng restart' on all clients they open a new
> connection to the server and the connection will be established as I
> expect.
>
> I hope that helps..

hmmm syslog-ng relies that it gets an error when it tries to send to an
already closed TCP connection. (basically it expects an EPIPE), can you
check whether the clients get this kind of error? (using strace, truss
or ktrace)

a quick workaround seems to be to enable keep-alive() on your tcp
sources, this way the TCP connection will not be closed, however this
would not solve the caswe when you stop and start syslog-ng.