[syslog-ng]problem on HPUX with s_tcp snd d_tcp

Stephan Hendl syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Thu, 01 Jul 2004 16:29:21 +0200

maybe the problem is that the server side (central syslog) is hpux. =
Unfortunately I do not have a linux box for this purpose...

With a tcpdump on the server-side you can see that even the syslog-ng =
daemon is down there are many tcp pakets going from the clients to the =
server. The clients do not recognise that the server process has died. On =
client side I have syslog-ng 1.6.0-rc4 where I have on the hpux server =
side 1.6.4.

What can I do with the socket(7) option? I am not familiar with tcp/ip =
internals ;-(((

Stephan

>>> lool+syslog@via.ecp.fr 01.07.2004 14:52:21 >>>
Stephan Hendl <Stephan.Hendl@lds.brandenburg.de> - Thu, Jul 01, 2004:

> It seems to me that the state 'FIN_WAIT_2' doesn't allow the hpux
> syslog-ng to accept data from the linux clients and this state is quite
> very long.=20

 I could not reproduce this on my Linux 2.6 system:
 - I killed syslog-ng with SIGTERM, SIGINT, SIGKILL, and SIGHUP while a
   telnet connection was open to the TCP port;
 - I restarted syslog-ng as soon as it was dead, and telneted
   successfully to the same port again, and syslog-ng saw my connection.

 Could it be a problem on the client side?  My TCP connection gets
 closed when I kill -HUP syslog-ng.

 Or could it be a socket(7) option missing on the listening TCP socket?
 I do a setsockopt with SO_REUSEADDR on my sockets prior to binding
 them, which does not seem to be in syslog-ng.

--=20
Lo=EFc Minier <lool@dooz.org>