[syslog-ng]Re: bug with UDP messages and rc4

Thomas Morin syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Fri, 09 Jan 2004 17:02:11 +0100

Hi Balazs,

Balazs Scheidler wrote:

> I've finally gotten to allocate some time releasing the final syslog-ng
> 1.6.0, and while collecting the bits I've found our discussion back in
> October 2003, when I posted a patch which should have fixed a log4j
> interoperability problem.
>
> You said messages were not newline terminated, I replied I couldn't
> reproduce the problem and you answered the difference might be that you
> are sending messages with a custom perl script which does not end lines
> with newlines whereas my testcases did.
>
> I now retested the code, this time without newlines as the following
> strace snippet shows:

Well I hope the the bug is now fixed. I'm not in position to test
this anymore : I work for some IT consulting company, and I'm not at the
place I was working back in october. At the time our fix had been to
modify the log4j code to newline terminate the messages, which was fine
as a first step. Only messages bigger than syslog-ng message buffers
were not properly parsed (newline was eaten because buffer too small);
so we added a limit to the message size in log4j, which closed the
problem for us.

I'll notify the guys working there anyway, telling them a corrected
version of syslog-ng had been released.

Thanks a lot for your work, I already told it, but I'll repeat it
anyawys : syslog-ng is a great piece of software ! :)

Happy new year,

-Thomas