[syslog-ng]Re: Syslog-ng & multiple "central" loghosts / HA environment

Ben Russo syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:02:48 -0500

> However, what I am trying to figure out, especially with this secondary
> scenario, is how do you get syslog-ng to report to the other host (for
> the duplicate/backup) without having syslog-ng push the messages to both
> of the syslog hosts "regular" ip's and, in doing so, prevent log
> messages from duplicating exponentially?

Configure Syslog-ng on each box to listen to more than one incomming
port.  One of the ports is the standard syslog UDP, the other is just
one you pick.

Configure the Syslog-ng processes to forward ONLY messages that arrive
via the standard port, but deliver them using the second one.

Tada....  No duplication.

-Ben.