[syslog-ng]Question about file handles, programs and time_reopen

Mike Tremaine syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Sat, 04 Dec 2004 10:56:31 -0800

I was doing a little experimenting on syslog-ng [syslog-ng-1.6.5-6 from
rpm package] and was curious what happens if the destination object is
destroyed. I read the configs option "time_reopen" [mine is set to 10, I
assume that is secs], does this control all output options or just
network connections?

2 examples.

If you have a log file that is removed while syslog-ng is running is
there a way to have syslog-ng re-create the file. I tried it and the
file didn't not come back even though there was more data.

Same experiment with a program. Syslog-ng forks a child program at
start-up but what happens if that child dies. I did a kill -9 just to
see if it would detect the absence and try to re-fork.

If I want these features do I need to look outside of syslog-ng [some
sort of daemon watcher that will throw a HUP].

Thanks,

Mike Tremaine