[syslog-ng]Question Regarding Syslog-NG Capabilities

Rhugga syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:46:40 -0500

If I simply want to have the syslogd daemons on my Solaris boxes send
their logs to a remote loghost running syslog-ng, I don't need syslog-ng
on the solaris boxes correct?

So on my solaris box, /etc/syslog.conf would contain an entry like this:

auth.info                                       @loghost

Loghost of course would be defined in /etc/hosts and contain the IP
address of the Linux system running syslog-ng.

Will this config work? Some of the documentation confused me implying
that syslog-ng is also needed on the client side. I will be using a
standard TCP listener with syslog-ng on the loghost machine, likely
using port 514.

Thanks,
rhugga