[syslog-ng]dhcp3-server logging problem

Michael Redinger syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:28:11 +0200

Hello,

I suppose everything is logged to /var/log/syslog?

You could make syslog a "fallback" statement:
log {
	source(...);
	destination(...);
	flags(catchall, fallback, final);
}

See for example:
http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng/expanded-syslog-ng.conf

Greetings,
Michael

Natxo Asenjo wrote:
| Hallo everybody,
|
| This is my first message to this list. I have a problem with the way
| syslog-ng 1.5.15 (stock debian woody) is logging the dhcp3-server
| messages. I have searched in the mailing-list archives and through
| google but could not find the answer to my problem. Which is:
|
| In the conf file for dhcp3-server, one can specify the facility where
| the log messages should go. The specific lines are:
|
| # Use this to send dhcp log messages to a different log file (you also
| # have to hack syslog.conf to complete the redirection).
| log-facility local7;
|
| So I created some new entries in /etc/syslog-nl/syslog-ng.conf, which
| are:
|
| # dest file where i want the dhcpd stuff:
|
| destination dhcpd { file("/var/log/dhcpd.log" owner("root") group("adm")
| perm(0640)); }; # this is all in one line, obviously.
|
| filter f_local7 { facility(local7); };
|
| log { source(src); filter(f_local7); destination(dhcpd); };
|
| So I restarted both services in order to reload their config files, and
| yes, now I get all the dhcp logging in /var/log/dhcpd.log, *but* I also
| get it in /var/log/syslog, which is driving me nuts, because I also have
| logcheck installed and every hour I get all the dhcpd messages in the
| logcheck emails.
|
| Is there a way I have overlooked to prevent this?
|
| TIA,
|
| N.Asenjo

- --
Michael Redinger
Zentraler Informatikdienst (Computer Centre)
Universitaet Innsbruck
Technikerstrasse 13                     Tel.: ++43 512 507 2335
6020 Innsbruck                          Fax.: ++43 512 507 2944
Austria                                 Mail: Michael.Redinger@uibk.ac.at
BB98 D2FE 0F2C 2658 3780  3CB1 0FD7 A9D9 65C2 C11D
http://www.uibk.ac.at/~c102mr/mred-pubkey.asc