[syslog-ng]dhcp3-server logging problem

Natxo Asenjo syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:15:58 +0200

Hallo everybody,

This is my first message to this list. I have a problem with the way
syslog-ng 1.5.15 (stock debian woody) is logging the dhcp3-server
messages. I have searched in the mailing-list archives and through
google but could not find the answer to my problem. Which is:

In the conf file for dhcp3-server, one can specify the facility where
the log messages should go. The specific lines are:

# Use this to send dhcp log messages to a different log file (you also
# have to hack syslog.conf to complete the redirection).
log-facility local7;

So I created some new entries in /etc/syslog-nl/syslog-ng.conf, which
are:

# dest file where i want the dhcpd stuff:

destination dhcpd { file("/var/log/dhcpd.log" owner("root") group("adm")
perm(0640)); }; # this is all in one line, obviously.

filter f_local7 { facility(local7); };

log { source(src); filter(f_local7); destination(dhcpd); };

So I restarted both services in order to reload their config files, and
yes, now I get all the dhcp logging in /var/log/dhcpd.log, *but* I also
get it in /var/log/syslog, which is driving me nuts, because I also have
logcheck installed and every hour I get all the dhcpd messages in the
logcheck emails.

Is there a way I have overlooked to prevent this?

TIA,

N.Asenjo