[syslog-ng]MORE: Syslog-ng unusual memory occupation

G. C. syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Wed, 04 Aug 2004 16:26:47 +0000

Researching the problem we found out that it seems to be related to the
"address spoofing" options. Enabling this option, under heavy traffic (which
means always, in our case) we experience this memory leak problem.
Disabling the address spoofing option, everything runs smoothly with only
about 720k memory occupation.

The problem is "we need this option"... And this is getting critical, can
anyone hep?
Thanks,
P.
__________________________________
Hi, I'm using syslog-ng (1.6.4) on a RedHat Linux AS 3.0 and I'm
experiencing a heavy memory occupation.
Untill yesterday syslog-ng was using 1GB RAM, today I added 1 GB more and
now it is using it too plus some swap (total 2.8 GB used. And it is
growing...).

I use this server for collecting logs from several hundreds network devices.
The traffic collected is around 1GB/day and I save it to a text log file
which is created and rotated daily.

I cannot understand the reason, I tried to play with the garbage collection
and fifo options but accomplished nothing.

Any experience of such a behavior?
Thanks in advance for your help,

Peter.