[syslog-ng]Remote MySQL?

Mike Nerone syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 11:38:34 -0500

Not at all. There are quite a few different methods for doing so, each with
its advantages and disadvantages.

Many are linked right on syslog-ng's FAQ page
(http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng/faq.html#links):

  http://vermeer.org/syslog/ (how to do it with a pipe to the mysql
command...the only command to change to make it remote is the "mysql"
command itself right at the bottom. Just add a "-h hostname.domain.tld" to
it)
  http://www.campin.net/newlogcheck.html (talks about how to do it buy
connecting with sqlsyslogd
  The example config at http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng.conf uses the
sqlsyslogs technique, as well.
  There's also a link to an example of how to do it by using a dropoff
directory. It's for postgresql, but can easily be adapted to mysql. The link
is dead now, but you can still see it through Archive.org's "Wayback
machine":
http://web.archive.org/web/20030622012230/http://www.umialumni.com/~ben/SYSL
OG-DOC.html
  Finally, there's a discussion, comparison, and examples of both of these
methods, as well a third, in the expanded example config at
http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng/expanded-syslog-ng.conf

Any of these techniques can be used for remote SQL logging.

Mike Nerone

/* The only secure computer is one that is unplugged from the network -- and
the wall. */

<Activism>Did you know that our brilliant legislators recently (and quietly)
legalized spam? The law now says that anyone who wants to *can* spam with no
fear of punishment. They even named the law the "CAN SPAM" Act. Read about
it at http://www.cauce.org/news/index.shtml, then talk about it with your
congressman.</Activism>