[syslog-ng]newbie questions about hostname related options

Jim syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 07:45:53 +0100

Chris,

> Thanks for the info.  Are you saying you run syslog-ng on the
> log server but the clients all run plain ol' syslog??

Yes at present.

> I thought you needed syslog-ng on clients to stunnel
> the stuff to log server over tcp.... How are you getting
> syslog stuff to log server?

Using the UDP. The servers are actually on very fast/robust/diverse network
so I'm not too worried about loosing any messages. In addition they are also
stored locally on the servers.

The network devices only support syslog over UDP and these were the main
devices we wanted to monitor in this way as the syslog will show messages
not provided by SNMP. We are looking at dedicated BSD boxes directly
attached to the network devices to capture their syslogs and then send them
back to the central syslog server using TCP as a future project, this will
ensure we don't miss anything in the event of network failures.

Jim