[syslog-ng]newbie questions about hostname related options

Jim Mozley syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:37:57 +0100

I have used the options below. The bad_hostname option was necessary as a
particular vendors equipment seemed to send part of syslog message as the
hostname so I used this option to ignore it.

options {
        keep_hostname(off);
        long_hostnames(off);
        sync(1);
        log_fifo_size(2048);
        bad_hostname("%");
        };

I found it was best to not rely on the device for the hostname but to let
the syslog server work this out. I'd assume with 3 clients that using fqdn
would be a bit overkill.

Jim