[syslog-ng]syslog-ng in a Solaris environment

Chuck Kelly syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 06:24:48 -0800

We have syslog-ng running on Solaris 8. Multiple platforms are logging in
including Linux, HP, IBM, and Windows. Balazs and Nate Campi have both been
excellent sources of information. www.campin.net.

Upgrading is as easy as downloading and compiling the new binary and pushing
out to the central log hosts. The hosts reporting in still run the regular
syslogd for now.

Stability has been very good. Although certain versions have had issues,
Balazs has done a good job getting patches out quickly to improve
stabilization.

On one of our central log hosts, which has about 3000 hosts reporting in, we
did note performance issues which was a DNS caching issue that was fixed. We
also made our loghost DNS cache servers to further improve performance.

Due to certain functionality requirements, we are using the 1.5.x release.
Overall we are very happy with the product.

--Chuck