[syslog-ng]buffer limitations and TCP compression

Jason Haar syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 21:15:50 +1200

Hi there

Can someone explain to me how the tcp/udp destination options handle
network outages/congestion? If I set my fifo to 10000, does that mean if
the remote server is down (I assume this only affects TCP - not UDP
BTW), the "client" will hold up to 10000 records before dropping... the
oldest? Just what does happen then?

Also, does anyone think adding a compress option to the tcp destination
option is a good idea? It could really cut down on the traffic (esp if
you could force a *minimum* fifo queue size - to increase your chance of
repeated data). It could make centralized logging over WANs much more
attractive.

Thanks

Jason