[syslog-ng]Enterasys SSR syslog message date format.

syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:40:16 +0100

We noticed that the syslog traffic from our Enterasys SSR routers violates
protocol slightly in
its date format.

Jun 07 09:56:46 ssrA %STP-I-PORT_STATUS, Port status change detected: et.2.3 -
Port Down
Jun 07 09:56:51 ssrA %STP-I-PORT_STATUS, Port status change detected: et.2.3 -
Port Up
Jun 07 09:59:10 ssrA %STP-I-PORT_STATUS, Port status change detected: et.2.3 -
Port Down
Jun 07 09:59:11 ssrA %STP-I-PORT_STATUS, Port status change detected: et.2.3 -
Port Up

i.e. it uses a leading zero on the day of month field where RFC3164 requires a
leading space.

It's hardly earth shattering, but it would be nice to make the field consistent
for these routers.
I've asked the manufacturer to fix their code, but in the meantime are there any
 good ways to
fix this in syslog-ng - ( other than a global use_time_recvd() yes flag )? I'm
currently still on a 1.5.24
syslog-ng code by the way, though more than will to go to 1.6 if need be.

If no option is currently available to munge fix this, could someone give me
some pointers as
to where in the code I might be able to patch in a host-specific fixup?

Since I would imagine a few other products also have slightly wonky date
formats, is there some
merit in adding some dateformat fixup code in future - maybe the development
releases already
address this issue?

Thanks,

Ted

This E-mail message, including any attachments, is intended only for the person
or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient, any review, retransmission, disclosure,
copying, modification or other use of this E-mail message or attachments is
strictly forbidden.
If you have received this E-mail message in error, please contact the author and
delete the message and any attachments from your computer.
You are also advised that the views and opinions expressed in this E-mail
message and any attachments are the author's own, and may not reflect the views
and opinions of FLEXTECH Television Limited.