[syslog-ng]syslog-ng under Solaris 5.6

Nate Campi syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 08:34:49 -0700

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 11:10:54AM -0700, Ryan Moon wrote:
> I've seen this problem before. The messages are coming from the Solaris
> kernel ring buffer via /dev/log, if you run dmesg you'll see the same
> messages. I could not find a way to clear the kernel buffer. The only way
> I've found to filter them is to exclude kern.info from the destination,
> with a filter like this.

This is correct, though dmesg on solaris doesn't read the buffer, it's a
shell script that tails the messages file. It's just coincidence that
kernel messages go to that file. If you turn off kernel messages going
to /var/adm/messages, dmesg won't even show kernel messages anymore.

Just FYI.

There is a way to control whether that buffer is read on startup with
solaris syslogd, but I've spent the last couple years trying to find
where I read that information. If you find it, post it to the list, it
might be useful for syslog-ng as well.
--
Nate

"Old programmers never die. They just can't C as well."  -Anon.