[syslog-ng]1.5.24 hangs, Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-98

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 20:57:45 +0100

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 10:47:07AM -0700, Greg Hartung wrote:
>    I upgraded from 1.4.14 to 1.5.24 because I needed support for named
> pipes.  Now the daemon hangs every few hours or so (with or without the use
> of pipes).  All the output files (about 90 devices) have the same last
> timestamp.  It happens a dozen or more times a day with no obvious pattern
> in the timing.  Does seem to be proportional to volume (doesn't hang
> overnight).  The output actually stops mid-message.  Many of the files are
> 2GB or more.  kill -HUP or syslog-ng restart seems to clear the problem up
> (continues writing to the same large files).  syslog-ng conf file is about
> 10k with about 20 filter/log/destination combo's.
>    Any ideas?
>    If you want to see the config, let me know, I just didn't want to clutter
> the list...

hmm.. as it seems your syslog-ng process blocks for some reason. A couple of
possibilities:

1) you have a /proc/kmsg source and klogd is running
2) syslog-ng hangs on a DNS query
3) there's a bug in syslog-ng

please confirm that neither 1) or 2) is true.