[syslog-ng]replacing part of prog name with hostname

Nate Campi nate@campin.net
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 12:28:57 -0800

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 03:21:25PM -0500, Ed Ravin wrote:
> Nate Campi writes:
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 10:48:51AM +0100, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
> > >
> > > The solution is to fix the sender program, no better workaround exists in
> > > syslog-ng.
> >
> > I tried that. I spent months trying to explain it to their developers. I
> > almost got one of them to understand, at which point he said they don't
> > really care.
>
> How about a feature in syslog-ng like this:
>
>    add_hostname(host1, host2, host3 [, ...])
>
> Which would cause syslog-ng to insert a hostname or IP number for all
> packets received from the hosts requested.  That would cover packets
> from Solaris hosts received via UDP - the add_hostname() option should
> also be available on individual syslog sources, so you could correct
> messages received from the local host via the syslog door or whatever
> that funky thing is Solaris uses.

Exactly what I suggested, except I called mine "bad_hostnames". I think
this feature could work.
--
Nate Campi   http://www.campin.net

"What a good thing Adam had. When he said a good thing, he knew nobody
had said it before." - Samuel Clemens