[syslog-ng]replacing part of prog name with hostname

Ed Ravin eravin@panix.com
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 15:21:25 -0500 (EST)

Nate Campi writes:

> On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 10:48:51AM +0100, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
> >
> > The solution is to fix the sender program, no better workaround exists in
> > syslog-ng.
>
> I tried that. I spent months trying to explain it to their developers. I
> almost got one of them to understand, at which point he said they don't
> really care.

How about a feature in syslog-ng like this:

   add_hostname(host1, host2, host3 [, ...])

Which would cause syslog-ng to insert a hostname or IP number for all
packets received from the hosts requested.  That would cover packets
from Solaris hosts received via UDP - the add_hostname() option should
also be available on individual syslog sources, so you could correct
messages received from the local host via the syslog door or whatever
that funky thing is Solaris uses.