[syslog-ng]performance test questions

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:00:34 +0100

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 03:02:33PM +0100, Roberto Nibali wrote:
> First off: I realize that I'm a major bandwith user on this ml currently.
> That is mainly because I need to do intensive testing which in the past
> reveiled some problems which I wasn't able to fix by myself. Please tell me
> if I'm too nerving.

no, your feedback is appreciated.

> >>o add back STATS counter to libol
>
> I have a hard time triggering it, what's the best and fastest thing to
> trigger such a message? I do get message loss at a certain point but it
> doesn't get accredited within syslog-ng's STATS counter. I assume that this
> must then be an incoming buffer problem and not a destination buffer
> problem.

If you are using syslog-ng under Linux, try sending messages to a terminal,
/dev/tty12 for example, and press Ctrl+S on that terminal.

This will block writes and should make syslog-ng drop messages.

> Sorry for being such a pusher but is it possible to have it in 1.5.27? It
> has been updated and tested extensively by Achim.

I've also added this to my CVS tree since then. I have created scripts to
generate automatic daily snapshots. They are available at:

http://www.balabit.com/downloads/syslog-ng/1.5/src-snapshot/

Can you check if it works for you?

I am trying to push 1.6.0 out but I don't want to release a broken version.