[syslog-ng]syslog-ng at CeBIT 2003

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 16:58:26 +0100

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 10:51:28AM -0500, Blaise St-Laurent wrote:
> ok, so what does the commercialization of syslog-ng mean for features that
> were yet to be implemented? Will certain features only be available in the
> commercial version?

commercialization will almost certainly help syslog-ng development. Until
now syslog-ng has been my pet project, originally started in my University
days. BalaBit has always had a strong free software attitude and most
features will probably be released in the GPLd version as well.

As an example check out Zorp, it has both a commercial and free version. The
core is the same, the difference is the presentation (installation cd, box,
printed documentation) and a couple of features (more proxy modules for
example)

It is certainly possible that a feature in the professional version will
not immediately be available (like the Aladdin licenses)