[syslog-ng]Re: syslog-ng

Roberto Nibali ratz@drugphish.ch
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 00:52:33 +0100

Chris,

> Thanks.  Are you saying if you start syslog-ng before
> networking and iptables that syslog-ng
> won't start??? So basically you must start it AFTER

No, it will start but if the link state of you NIC is down and the fast
routing cache is empty you get a different retval then ECONNREFUSED back
and thus the syslog-ng won't try to reconnect anymore. This is only if
you have a listener for incoming messages over the net. Otherwise
syslog-ng is not affected by this.

> filtered network up or else apply your patch? Is that right?

Depends on how you set up your network. I personally set up the pf
rules, then I set the IP addresses of the NICs, then I set the link
state of the NICs up and then other daemons start up ...

And when you have a central logging server and a similar setup in your
runlevel order this might bite you.

Regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc