[syslog-ng]half open connections.

Erik Ivanenko syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:16:27 -0400

--------------B0A297848382A7A843231143

Hello,

I don't know if this has been implemented, but I think not yet...  Our
intended usage of syslog-ng is for remote devices to annunciate alarms
as part of a building automation system as folows:

When a remote devices detects an alarm in a building system, a message
is issued to the host via a syslog-ng TCP connection.  The syslog-ng
daemon on the host uses a FIFO to pass the message to a waiting task to
dump that message into a database and add further formatting to the
message for delivery to our alarms terminals.

My problem is that if the remote devices is powered off, a 1/2 open
connected will result on the server, that necessitates a SIGHUP to
remove (or the syslog-ng to be restarted.)  Is there a version of
syslog-ng that will test each connection at a timed interval and close
if the remote device is not present?

Thank you for a great piece of work!

Cheers.
--------------B0A297848382A7A843231143